Effective, Research-based Reading Programs
A School's Continuum of Programs and Materials
- Core: Programs and materials designed to enable 80% or more of students to reach benchmark.
- Acceleration: Programs and materials designed to increase students' learning essential skills (sometimes referred to as remedial programs).
- Reinforcement/Supplemental: Programs and materials designed to address specific skill areas such as phonemic awareness or reading fluency.
Making Program Decisions
- Base educational decisions on evidence, not ideology (Learning First Alliance, 1998, see References)
- Promote adoption of programs based on what works.
- If there is little evidence about a particular program, rely on the evidence regarding the approach to instruction.