Principal Tools to Support a School-wide Reading Initiative
The tools contained in this section are intended to be used by building principals or other elementary school leaders to support school-wide initiatives for improving reading achievement. Examples of such efforts include Reading First implementation and Title 1 School-wide Projects.
The tools are designed around the role of the principal in four different contexts:
- within the principals' various administrative roles or functions;
- within the structures of time;
- within the elements of curriculum, instruction, assessment, and motivation;
- relative to other people with whom the principal must work to get things done.
- Supporting a School-Wide Reading Initiative Through Basic Administrative Functions
- Supporting a School-Wide Reading Initiative by Working Within the Structures of Time: Principals' daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual tasks that can make a difference in students' reading success
- Supporting a School-Wide Reading Initiative by Working with Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment Variables
- Supporting a School-Wide Reading Initiative by Working Through Others: Promoting reading success through teachers, support staff, students & parents